According to healthcare professionals, a patient’s recovery process post-knee replacement surgery is equally important as the surgery. No matter how critical or minimal your knee replacement surgery was; the importance of physiotherapy after knee replacement surgery cannot be denied. Regular physiotherapy post-surgery helps to achieve the movement and posture that a patient might lose due to knee replacement. So, today, we would learn how physical therapy service at home helps regain mobility and strength after knee replacement surgery.
Why Should You Undergo Physiotherapy After Knee Replacement Surgery?
The goal of physiotherapy post-knee replacement surgery is to fasten the healing process. It can be called post-knee replacement surgery rehabilitation. The rehabilitation process includes a set of exercises (truly customized to the patient’s knee condition), posture and movement improvement training, and manual to passive physical therapies to mobilize stiff muscles and tissues after knee replacement surgery. Apart from mobility to your stiff muscles and postures, let us know how physical therapy after knee replacement benefits patients.
1. Gain Weight Bearing Capability: Gentle physical therapy helps to bear weight on your knee joint. Your physiotherapist would certainly help you in this regard, He/she helps you to perform motion exercises and help your muscles to gain strength and balance gradually.
2. Get Rid of Tissue Scars: With regular physiotherapy after knee replacement surgery, you can prevent inflammations or tissue scars and regain your lost knee joint flexibility. While knee surgery limits mobility and tends to make your knee tight; a certified post-surgery knee replacement physiotherapist heals the scars with the inclusion of scar tissue massage and other physio-techniques.
3. Better Blood Circulation: Sitting idle for hours after knee replacement surgery increases the chances of blood clotting in the artificial knee joint. Thus, it is better to hire an experienced physiotherapist at home to keep the joint active. Post knee replacement process, physiotherapy promotes better blood circulation around the knee area and prevents any kind of complications.
4. Releases Pain & Swelling: Customized physiotherapy program helps reduce swelling and pain adjoin to the knee area after knee replacement surgery. Physical therapy after knee replacement promotes better blood circulation and fastens the healing process of incision in alleviating pain and swelling.
5. Regain Strength In Knee Joint: A professional physiotherapist in Kolkata knows which set of exercises helps strengthen knee joints and muscles after implant. He/she applies active and/or passive physiotherapies at home to achieve the necessary level of activity and movement on the knee for patients holistically.
In a nutshell, a physiotherapist helps you get back the mobility and strength in your knee that you had before surgery. If you need a professional physiotherapist at your home in Kolkata, do call physiotherapist Kamalika now.
Duration of Physiotherapy after Surgery
The healing rate of a patient varies from person to person. In general, a physiotherapy session must go on for 4 to 8 weeks. Though, it can be shorter or longer according to the knee’s health condition. Many physiotherapists suggest at-home exercises like quadriceps sets, ankle pumps, straight leg raise, short arc quads, and so on to speed up the recovery process.
On a Final Note,
It would be better if you hire an experienced physiotherapist at home just after your knee replacement surgery. You can contact physiotherapist Kamalika now if you need a certified lady physiotherapist at home in Kolkata and nearby.